Locomotive Springs WMA and UT 83

The wanderlust hit this morning and I did my best to quench it with a trip to Locomotive Springs Waterfowl Management Area, 25 miles northwest of Golden Spike NHS.  The area provides wetlands out in the middle of not only nowhere, but also in saltbush flats.

The Yellow-rumped Warblers were demonstrating a certain joie de vivre as they were very active in the few heavily-laden Russian Olive trees.  They chased each other and sallied out after airborne insects.  I saw one female that had a white chin and a yellow throat.  Many Sage Thrashers were also dining on the olives.  Migration must be on, as I saw a Ruby-crowned Kinglet and a Savannah Sparrow in the olive trees.  I don't think either bird would be found in this habitat during breeding season.  A female Belted Kingfisher rested quietly on a dead branch over the water.  I saw many Great Blue Herons including one in crucifix posture as it faced west and warmed itself in the late afternoon sun.   I also saw a juvenile Black-crowned Night Heron.

I can't wait until the waterfowl molts again so lazy ol' me doesn't have to work so hard to identify ducks in eclipse plumage.  They just about eclipsed my ability to ID them.  I saw numerous CBDs (confusing brown ducks) that I shall call female Mallards, because their true identities will forever remain a mystery.  I saw Northern Shovelers--their large spatulate bills make them easy to ID, but when a group of ducks flushed, I also noticed the shoveler's white underwing coverts flashed at me as the flock circled for another landing.  The shovelers also have a regal way of holding that great shovel--as if they're quite proud of it--and the posture is distinctive in a mixed flock.  The Cinnamon Teal I saw still look a little cinnamon in fresh fall plumage.  I also saw a Green-winged Teal.  That one was a toughie.  It was smaller than the Mallard it swam with and had a more angular head at the front and rear.  It finally showed me its bright green speculum edged in white when it preened. I saw a smidgeon of wigeon--one, to be exact, showing its dark, droopy-eyed look.  A lone Common Merganser sat on a rock in bizarre peanut butter-and-marshmallow fluff plumage.  The bird showed a great deal of white so I'll have to say it was a male, but I still don't understand why it was partly brown instead of gray.  His brilliant orange beak and legs were distinctive as was his ragged hair-do.  Ducks of the day were three pointy-headed Ring-necked Ducks.  They blessed me by maintaining basic similar to breeding plumage.  Their beaks and eye color hadn't quite changed and the pale spur along the breast was still apparent in one.  One of them preened with beak pointed toward me, and the beak looked festooned with a thin scallop of white where the beak met the duck's forehead.  Other water birds included Pied-billed Grebe and American Coot, and I heard Virginia Rails.

A most interesting sighting was the Horned Larks sitting on the mats of vegetation out on the water.  I didn't realize the Horned Lark could be considered a waterfowl species!   After all, it was using the same habitat the Pied-billed Grebes and some of the dabblers used.  Several shorebirds also used the mats, but I didn't get my scope up quickly enough and they flew.  I only saw one Killdeer.  Locomotive Springs is not the best shorebird habitat.

The return trip was pretty much a falcon festival as I saw American Kestrels, a Prairie Falcon, and a Peregrine Falcon.  I saw the Peregrine very close to the same spot I saw one about 2 months ago--on the line of double telephone poles that run parallel to and south of UT 83 near the junction with Highway 102.  I heard Virginia Rails, Common Yellowthroats, and Marsh Wrens there too.  Finally, I saw many Red-tailed Hawks on telephone poles once I passed Golden Spike again headed east, Northern Harriers throughout, Western Meadowlarks, Vesper Sparrows, and one Rock Wren.

I put a new twist on the syndrome called Birder's Absentmindedness (BA)--the condition that causes you to drive away leaving a field guide on the hood of your car.  After I saw the Peregrine I tried without success to entice the Virginia Rails to come of the reeds, then I headed home.  About a mile later I realized my telescope was still back there on the side of the road, trained on the Peregrine.  That's a pretty bad case of BA, isn't it?   I retrieved my scope.  You may now chuckle at me.

Earlier in the day I visited 200W in Willard because it looked like good warbler habitat.  This road runs parallel to and between I-15 and UT 89 and you can access it by taking I-15 exit 360 (Willard Bay State Park), turn east, and watch for 200W on the south side of the road.  200W runs under a leafy deciduous canopy.  I didn't see many birds, but I'll earmark it for a spring visit due to the Wilson's and Yellow-rumped Warblers, Cassin's Vireo, and Downy Woodpeckers.

Kris