Bittern, shorebirds, etc. at Bear River Refuge - Box Elder County

Hi All!

Early this morning, (6:30 - 8:30) I made a trip around the auto tour route,
and I have to say, there were more shorebirds in Unit 2 (interior of auto
tour route) than I've seen anywhere in one place in my entire life!
Varying water levels in this unit are perfect right now - open water deep
enough yet for grebes and divers at the SW corner, but shallow water and
mud flats are more the norm.  Peeps were super-abundant - little bird
bodies feeding like crazy, for as far as your optics will allow views.
Also many, many avocets, stilts, ibis and pelicans.  No sign of Pink Floyd.
Three SNOWY PLOVERS were seen along the canal that parallels the final
third of the auto tour route - this is the dike that goes south from the
River Delta Interpretive Site and restrooms.

I counted 14 SEMIPALMATED PLOVERS, mostly in the first and last thirds of
the route.  Our refuge checklist says they're RARE (few records over
several years) and TRANSIENT (seen as a migrant, spring or fall).  Well,
certainly the transient is correct, but I'd like to hear opinions from
others as to abundance of these guys.  Are they really "rare" here?
Bridget and I saw several in spring migration also, so we've been asking
ourselves if the notation on our bird checklist for this species needs
revision.

There was an AMERICAN BITTERN standing in  full view along the far edge of
the canal, 1 1/4 miles west from the beginning of the tour route, and about
one block before the first hunter parking area.

A PEREGRINE FALCON has been seen working refuge impoundments over the past
week also.

LASTLY, thank you to everyone for sharing refuge sightings with our staff.
Please continue!  The information you've been providing on timing and
abundance during each season will be of great help when it's time to update
our bird checklist (scheduled for 2004).

Betsy Beneke
Outdoor Recreation Planner
Bear River Migratory Bird Refuge