Black Terns

Tuula Rose and I birded on AIC Saturday morning. Other
than Sanderlings, the most abundant species on the
Causeway was a horde of enthusiastic bikers. Several
turned out to be birders as well. We spotted the
Dunlins and several Red-necked Phalaropes on AIC, as
well as Grasshopper Sparrows and Sage Thrashers seen
on the way to Garr Ranch. The Ranch was quiet, but of
note were the Orange-crowned, Yellow and Yellow-rumped
Warblers, a Plumbeous Vireo, as well as a Blue-gray
Gnatcatcher. Great to have the warblers back!

On the way back we stopped at the Lee Kay Ponds and
met up with Dennis Shirley and Merrill Webb. Saw the
Least Terns (2) on the far west ponds as well as a
pair of Black Terns flying over the ponds directly
south of the gazebo.  It was a wonderful day of
birding!

Leena Rogers

http://search.yahoo.com