Fwd: San Pete, Carbon, Utah Cos. 5-18-03

Birdnet Email -- from the website

----Original Message Follows----
 It was submitted by Julie on Monday, May 19, 2003 at 08:11:35

Subject: San Pete, Carbon, Utah Cos. 5-18-03

Email_Address:

Message: Pomera and I birded in these counties Sunday. Saw lots of birds around Thistle and Indianola--Long-billed Curlew (2), Say's Phoebe, 2 Swainson's Hawks, and lots of Yellow Warblers, Savannah Sparrows, and Bullock's Orioles. On the road from Fairview to Scofield we had a Golden Eagle almost fly into the windshield; it was just barely above car height--it must have been lifting off from roadside. Startling to say the least! Saw some Evening Grosbeaks at a feeder in Scofield but no Purple Martins at the campground. Stopped at Diamond Fork CG in Utah Co. and had the best birding. Two Red-naped Sapsuckers and a pair of Downy Woodpeckers. The Downy male did not like the Red-naped Sapsucker at all! The Downy kept trying to brush the sapsucker off the tree and scolded it constantly. We thought the sapsucker might have been near the Downy's nest. Got Plumbeous Vireo, Western Tanager, Western Wood-pewee, and Chipping Sparrow in the campground and a Northern Mockingbird !
on the road just before the campground entrance. Lots of other common species, too.

Good birding y'all,
Julie