Good Eats at Kaysville Ponds

Seems like the birdies are always dining when I arrive on the scene.  Today at mid-day at Kaysville Ponds I watched two female Hooded Mergansers both wrestle with 5-inch fish in separate vignettes.  One of the mergansers was not deterred by the repeated squawking and dive bombing of a California Gull overhead whose motive, I presume, was to intimidate her to drop her prized lunch.  She merely dove and didn't reappear for quite some time and the gull lost interest.  Upon surfacing she still grasped the fish, and then, bloop!  Down the hatch it went.

I was impressed with the variety of bird life at these suburban ponds that are bordered by traffic whizzing by on the interstate.  Nothing unusual to report, but I enjoyed Lesser Scaup, Redheads, Northern Shoveler, Canada Geese, the usual domestic duck-duck-goose assortment, Mallard, American Wigeon, Eared Grebe, Common Goldeneye, Killdeer, Red-winged Blackbirds, Gadwall, Magpie, and Common Raven.  Funniest sighting of the day was an improbable American White Pelican playing king-of-the-hill on the small island in the north pond.  It looked quite out of place amongst the resting gulls on that postage-stamp size spot of land, and it looked especially funny when the wind came up from behind and blew the feathers around on its head.  I was sure this must be a Pelican Merganser, by the look of its bad hair-do!

The Utah Botanical Gardens are coming along.  This spot will be quite nice when the bridges and paths are complete and the vegetation is planted.  This is the kind of place where you never know what will turn up.  Today's example was the pelican; earlier in the winter while I was gawking at the waterfowl, a mature Bald Eagle landed in a tree with tiny branches far too small for its great big feet.  The bird withstood the balancing act for about 10 minutes, then threw in the towel and took off in the direction of Farmington Bay.

To reach Kaysville Ponds, take Exit 331 off I-15 and turn east.  In approximately 1/2 mile, turn south on Main Street for 1/4 mile, and then bear right on 50 West.  Kaysville Ponds are sandwiched between 50 West and the interstate.

Kris