Sharp-tailed Grouse Bonanza in Paradise

Hi,

Judy & I ventured out on this inclement day to do some birding in Logan.
Our target bird was the Sharp-tailed Grouse. The last time we saw this
species was in White's Valley last year. At the time, it was a life bird
for both of us, but it was seen at a distance. The pointed tail was
obvious in flight, but, for a life bird, the views we got were less than
satisfying.

Today was a true bonanza!. We counted at least 12 at the Paradise
Cemetery. Most of them were roosting high in the evergreens that flank
the entrance to the cemetery. We got really good and close looks. I took
several photos, which I'll post later on. The lighting for photos was
atrocious for the most part, with the birds silhouetted against the
bright white sky.

We then went on to check out Jim Lofthouse's feeders, where we observe
another 5 grouse in the trees of the house just north of his place.
They, along with a couple of dozen more common species, were flushed by
a Sharp-shinned Hawk before I could get any more pictures.

About halfway on the drive back to Logan, two more grouse flew across
the road about 50 yards in front of us. In total, we saw 19 grouse.

We were up there around 11:30am. If you try to find the grouse, be sure
to look up. They seem to prefer roosting on the tops of the trees. Their
eyes were closed on most of my photos, so I think they were trying to
catch a little shut-eye safely high off the ground.

Coordinates of cemetery entrance: 41* 34' 9.68" N, 111* 49' 31.30" W

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold