East Canyon Pygmy

Hi,

Terry Sadler and I ventured up East Canyon this morning to try and
locate the Northern Pygmy-Owl and, hopefully, get some pictures. This is
my 4th time this year looking for this species - once up City Creek,
once at Mountain Dell, and twice up East Canyon. In this case, the 4th
time is the charm :-)

Terry spotted it on our way down from the dam around 10 this morning.
There's a caution sign as you go up the canyon a short distance before
the dam that warns of dangerous curves for the next 3 miles or so. The
bird was seen a hundred yards or so before the sign on the west
(downslope) side of the road. The hillside is pretty steep here with a
big flat open field down below. The bird was maybe 60 feet down the hill
at about eye level, studiously looking for lunch.

Not wanting to scare the owl off, we first tried a few shots from the
car. Quality was poor, so we got out the tripods and set up on the
shoulder. These shots were better, but still not great because of the
bright snowy background and distance from the bird. Terry, being a bit
of a sport, decided to try and get closer, making his way down the steep
snowy muddy rocky slope to a position where the bird had a nice blue sky
backdrop.

We couldn't believe that the bird was still there after all this action
on Terry's part. I, being more sensible than Terry, initially didn't
want to risk life, limb, etc. to get a picture. Eventually, however,
pride got the best of me (can't stand to let Terry get better pictures
than me), so I slid on down and joined him. We could hardly believe that
the bird still didn't fly off! I would say we were no more than 30 feet
from the bird. He let us photograph him for another 5 minutes before
flying off to another perch. The new perch was much more secluded, so
our picture taking session had to end.

Compared with Paul Higgins' excellent "action" shots of this Pygmy-Owl
consuming a mouse and spitting up pellets, our shots were pretty
mundane.

We also saw 15-20 Wild Turkeys crossing the road on the way up the
canyon and 15+ Bald Eagles in the canyon. It was a gorgeous morning.

Look for Terry's owl shots on the Utah Birds website in the near future.
I know he got some great ones. I hope to have a couple shots up on my
site in the next few days as well.

Jim Bailey
2032 Ribbon Lane
Holladay, UT 84117
(801) 274-8034

A  hobby must be in a large degree useless, inefficient, laborious or
irrelevant -Aldo Leopold