Attention, Snow Goose Molt Strategists!

I visited Kaysville Ponds in Davis County this afternoon and came across
an interesting Snow Goose, which brought up a question for Snow Geese
aficionados.  Let me lay the groundwork first.

The goose was a juvenile Snow Goose with a bit more stylish look than
your average young bird.  I thought the goose was molting into adult
plumage.  The typical juvenile features were present--slanting dusky
stripe through the eye, wide dusky stripe down the back of the neck,
generally dusky upperparts, and pinkish-gray bill and feet.  However,
the bird sported a brilliant snowy white fan of scapulars over its dusky
juvenile scaps, lending a bit of an exotic look.

Sibley indicates that Snow Geese wear juvenal plumage Aug-Jan.  This
young goose's appearance is probably normal for this time of year
(especially due to the pinkish bare parts), but since we don't see the
species that often in the winter (classified as an Occasional Winter
bird on the Utah checklist), we also don't get to see interesting
half-n'-half plumages very frequently.

But wait--there's still more!  I reviewed Cornell's BNA online species
account for the Snow Goose's molt strategy, and I came across a tidbit I
find surprising.  Cornell says that young Snow Geese become increasingly
white over their first year due to wear.  The account doesn't address
molt at all.  I don't believe the goose I saw could possibly have only
pure white scapulars and few other white parts (except the
underparts--they were white, as is appropriate for juveniles) unless it
was due to molt.  Is there a Snow Goose molt strategist out there who
can confirm that this juvenile goose was likely molting?

I saw another interesting goose at Kaysville Ponds in addition to the
Snow.  The second goose was a Canada sporting a yellow neck collar with
the black alphanumeric characters TE30.  That color/letter combination
indicates the bird was locally bred at Farmington Bay WMA.  I've
reported the goose both to Rich Hansen, manager of Farmington, and to
the Patuxent Bird Banding Laboratory in Maryland.

Other species present at the ponds this afternoon included American
Wigeon, Mallards, a pair of Redheads, three Ring-necked Ducks, a pair of
Lesser Scaup, a handful of Common Goldeneyes, and a Pied-billed Grebe.

To reach Kaysville Ponds, take I-15 to exit 328 and turn east.  Drive
1/2 mile to Main Street and turn right (south).  Drive south 3 blocks
and bear right on 50th West.  Drive south approximately 1/2 mile and
you'll see the ponds on your right, sandwiched between the road you're
on and the interstate.