Just want to share my morning

I'm here in Camden, Ark., and so far my list for the new year only stands
 at 25 birds but then all my birding as been done on my daughter's rural
5 acres. My morning started with four crows drinking from the backyard po
nd just outside my RV window. A bit later, I put on my heavy coat, gloves
 and caps -- for the first time in 2006 -- to walk Maggie. Our regular wa
lk usually has us stumbling through juncos, white-throated sparrows and e
astern bluebirds. This morning was no different, except they were all qui
te puffed up because of the cold. Then I saw this big shape in a tree. My
 25th bird was a magnificent pileated woodpecker. It was high up in a lea
fless tree and hammering away at its trunk. I watched it with my binocula
rs until my arms grew weary, then watched it some more with the naked eye
 You can't see a pileated without thinking of an ivory-billed, at least
I can't especially here in Arkansas. With that in mind, I carefully studi
ed the large red-crested woodpecker's back. Nary a stripe of white in sig
ht. The bird finally flew off, but just to a nearby tree. This was a coni
fer, however, and the thick branches hit it from view. I only knew it was
 still there because the wood knocking music continued. And finally so di
d I continue on with my walk, to Maggie's patient delight.  I look forwar
d to getting back in Utah and I'm sure on the way there and to planned Te
xas visits my list will grow. My goal for the new year, however, is to en
joy each and every bird I see with zen concentration, even if they're sim
ply four old crows. And by the way, I have yet to see a starling. Happy b
irding to all my Utah friends. See you in April.