From: owner-birdtalk@utahbirds.org [mailto:owner-birdtalk@utahbirds.org] On
Behalf Of Mark Stackhouse
Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 8:05 PM
To: Tim Avery
Cc: birdtalk@utahbirds.org
Subject: Re: First bird of the year

Well, Tim, I'd like to say I feel your pain, having spent years trying
to avoid the "starling first" New Year's tradition. I even made a
concerted effort one year to see how far down on my year list I could
make the starling fall, going so far as wearing a baseball cap drawn
down over my eyes and playing loud music whenever passing starling-rich
territory and birding intensively in places I knew to be relatively
starling-free. I made it to 35 before seeing a starling. Last year and
this year I cheated by passing the New Year in San Blas, Mexico, where
we don't have starlings. Last year I made it to 105 on my New Year's
Day journey back to Utah before seeing a starling in Arizona. This
morning I went birding until noon before packing to leave, and although
I concentrated on photographing birds rather than simply birding,
managed a list of 110 species (any year with Military Macaw on the list
before starling is a good year). Oddly, I also missed Rock Dove, House
Sparrow, and amazingly, Cattle Egret. Although I haven't seen a
starling yet, I'm not sure that trading it for Great-tailed Grackle and
Sinaloa Crow (my first two this morning) is any great improvement!

I should add a few tomorrow morning before crossing the border and
entering starling country again . . .

Happy New Years (and best of luck for your 2006 lists)!

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
www.westwings.com
mark@westwings.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)