First bird in Texas

I heard one, but figured I didn't have to count a crow as my first bird o
f the year because I hadn't seen it. Didn't matter. A pair flew into my d
aughter's yard at first light as I sat in my motorhome and drank my morni
ng coffee and looking out the window. My second bird sighting of the new
year was much better. A pair of squealing red-shouldered hawks. Until las
t year, my first bird in Utah had always been a house sparrow. It was a h
ouse sparrow even the year I celebrated Jan. 1 in New York City.  I final
ly escaped the house sparrow curse in 2005 because I spent New Year's in
Guam where my first bird was a yellow bittern. Happy birding in 2006 to a
ll us birders. And let's hope we see lots more than starlings, house spar
rows and crows. Pat Bean