To: "BirdTalk" <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Cc: "John Morgan" <jmorgan480@comcast.net>
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2005 3:35 PM
Subject: Re: Google Earth info/request for Merrill Webb

Might I respectfully request that BirdTalkers not start using exclusively gps coordinates. If you do use gps, please also include non-digital location information. Not everyone is using the latest gps gizmo.

Matthew Wallace.

John Morgan wrote:

Merrill,
Is it possible to configure the birdtalk list-serv so it will accept these Google Earth placemarker attachments? Each placemarker file (.kmz) is only 444k in size. If that is possible, birders would no longer need to include directions to their sightings. Does the server have enough drive space to support/archive the added overhead this would create?

I've not yet found a way to cut/paste GPS coordinates to and from the application. Though it appears GPS devices can be connected to the user's machine and coordinates followed, it doesn't appear that there is any way to type in GPS coordinates at text. Bummer. Looks like these placemarker files are the only way you can share a location.
Thanks,
John