Antelope Island

Still couldn't see the Burrowing Owl on the Causeway.  Hope that Coyote I saw running from that area last week didn't get them. Looks more like coyote do-do in front of the burrow. There is one pellet on top of the concrete and some to the south of the concrete. We did see the 2 beautiful Barn Owls sleeping and they seemed fine.  We didn't stop for any photos, just let them sleep since they have such a hard time here in the winter.

As a consolation prize, we did see a Porcupine wandering around.  Supposed to be noctural but he was digging and chewing at some roots.  I took a cue from Kristen and talked softly to him in sort of baby talk (as I do to my cat when I'm trying to get her to quit acting so Catty).  He was ok with that and kept gnawing away until a family stopped and walked over to see what it was.  He briefly raised his quills at them but then just sauntered off.  I didn't think I would ever think a rodent was pretty, but this one really is a beauty.  Very sweet face.  Yah, yah, I know they hurt trees. Whatcha gonna do? Cute is cute.

http://www.wildutah.us/h_porcupine.html

Glad I'm not a weather person.  Don't think I would feel good about a 90% failure rate.

Nicky

nicky-davis@earthlink.net
www.wildutah.us