East Canyon 12/27/05

Happy holidays!

Well, I ventured up to East Canyon to see if I could see anything that has been reported, most notably the No. Pygmy Owl.  I purposefully went in the afternoon since it has previously been seen between 2:30-4:30.  Cutting to the chase, I was there from 2:50-3:50 and no owl.  When I had been there almost an hour with almost no bird activity some BC Chickadees came about.  I did an experiment, hoping not to be stoned by anyone in this group, and played the recording of the No. Pygmy Owl.  I did this to see if I would get a reaction out of the chickadees since it is not uncommon that they will come harass an owl that they are familiar with.  I experimented with both the usual singular note the owl is known to vocalize as well as the two note call it sometimes vocalizes.  Now I realize we are in the winter so calling may not be present or going on a lot with the real owl, but the chickadees could have cared less.  I didn't even get their attention.  I also heard no calls back.  Birds I did see in the area were the chickadees, an American Kestrel and a mature Bald Eagle (though it was about 1/8th of a mile away). I later saw a second year Bald Eagle when I was almost to Porterville.

Before waiting at that area for the owl, after I had made sure where it was at (BTW, it is green surveyor's tape on a tall brush) I headed up to East Canyon reservior.  There is no ice in the middle of the lake but there is ice covering the entire north end (from east to west) and on the south end.  On the very south end where the stream/river empties into East Canyon, there were Mallard, Common Goldeneye (1 male with 5 females) and one female Barrow's Goldeneye.  Nothing else.

Though it is always nice to see the Barrow's Goldeneye, a pretty uneventful day.  However, if you want to see plenty of BB Magpies and Starlings, that is definitely the place to go (Starlings in Porterville mostly).  Unfortunately, I saw no Magpie funerals (or weddings). : )

Brian