Re: Magpies and Hawks

Thanks Steve. Nice comparisons and new info. I'm sure the Magpie I saw had to clean out its pants after the attack. Very likely too that the 6 new Magpies in the tree at the location of the assumed kill were laughing their guts out at their buddy :)
John
----- Original Message ----- From: "Steve Carr" <stevecarr9@msn.com>
To: <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 2:47 PM
Subject: Magpies and Hawks

While we are talking about magpies and hawks, I'll weigh in with another observation.

About 4 years ago, while watching a Merlin in Holladay, a Scrub-Jay came
over to pester it.  It got within 6 feet of the Merlin and the Merlin
paid no attention to it.  The Jay then flew away and 10 seconds later a
Magpie flew in to continue the harassment.  (It's almost as if the Jay
had run and told his bigger cousin to come and chase the bad guy away.)
The Magpie squawked and moved closer to the falcon.  When the Magpie was
about 3 feet away, suddenly the Merlin whipped around, raised its wings
and hissed, and the Magpie flew off in complete disarray.

--Steve Carr