Re: The Magpie and the Hawk

Interesting stuff, Eric. Probably why they were heckling the Sharpie I saw. Can't say I've seen a lot of serious pursuits by hawks, but this final chase I witnessed, based on distance traveled and it's aggressiveness, had the appearance of "attack for purposes of eating". In the end, I was the one fooled. One question remains: if the Sharpie (or a larger hawk) would've taken the Magpie, would the other Magpies have joined in trying to steal the meal...one of their own...from the hawk?
----- Original Message ----- From: "Eric Huish" <poorwill_@hotmail.com>
To: <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Cc: <jmorgan480@comcast.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 24, 2005 1:29 PM
Subject: RE: The Magpie and the Hawk

Just a note on Magpies vs Sharp-shinned Hawks.

Last week I saw two magpies gang up on a sharpshin. They chased it around the yard until he dropped the Pine Siskin he was carrying. The magpies then swooped down and grabbed the still kicking siskin for themselves. This is the third time I've witnessed magpies pirate food from sharp-shinned hawks. I've also witnessed Magpies trying to steal mice from a weasel. Your magpies were probably following your sharpie around in hopes of stealing his kill. And the hawk was trying to chase the magpies off so he could hunt in peace.

Twice this fall I saw a sharpie and magpies up in the foothills leisurely taking turns chasing each other around for no apparent reason. Just playing tag?

One of my sharpshins took a Spotted Towhee today. I love to have the hawks in the yard but I would prefer they concentrate on the House Sparrows.

Eric Huish Pleasant Grove UT poorwill_@hotmail.com 801-360-8777