black phoebes in San Juan county? Request for information

At about 5 p.m. this afternoon I observed a possible black phoebe in a field about one mile east of Bluff. I have seen numerous black phoebes over the last few years, but I am a little hesitant to ID this bird definitively as a black phoebe for three reasons:

1. The bird was of the correct size and shape as a black phoebe. It was roughly the same size as white-crowned sparrows nearby. The back of its head rose to a little bit of a peak as shown in Sibleys. It had a very dark head, back, chest, and tail, both above and beneath, and was nearly pure white on its belly and undertail coverts and not buffy at all. The bird did not have an eye ring or wing bars nor any white anywhere other than on its underside as previously described. It had black eyes and a thin black bill. However, its upper body, rather than being pure black, was a very dark gray. Is there some color variation in black phoebes due to age, season, or are there sub-species?

2. The bird's behavior was more or less black phoebe-like. After studying the bird through binoculars in good light at about 75' for several minutes, I played a black phoebe call. The bird did not respond. Out of season, this perhaps is not significant.

3. According to the range maps in Sibleys and National Geographic, black phoebes are not normally found in San Juan county. Has this specie been previously sighted in this county (San Juan county) or in other nearby areas?

Many thanks,

Lu Giddings