Re: Sandhill Cranes Flying South

As Bill and I were walking in City Creek Canyon yesterday afternoon we heard, then saw, 50-60 sandhill cranes flying south. They were strung out, mostly in a long line. What a thrill. The time was approximately 2:05.

Sylvia
On Nov 9, 2005, at 7:47 PM, Kristin Purdy wrote:

Is it possible to double-claim Matthew's Sandhill Cranes?

This afternoon at about 1 pm, I was awakened from my beauty nap to the sound
of Sandhill Cranes through the open window. I ran out on the deck and
counted exactly 50 Sandhills heading south. This was in Ogden up on the
east bench.

What are the chances that my flock was the same as Matthew's?!?

The nap didn't do much for me, but the cranes were a beautiful sight.

Kris
----- Original Message -----
From: "M. H. Wallace" <pooder@xmission.com>
To: "BirdTalk" <birdtalk@utahbirds.org>
Sent: Wednesday, November 09, 2005 2:37 PM
Subject: [BirdTalk] Sandhill Cranes Flying South

At 2:15, here in the East Millcreek area of Salt Lake County, I was just
at the kitchen sink when I looked up, out the window, I saw what
appeared to be a line of birds flying high over Millcreek Canyon here in
Salt Lake. I first thought they were Geese. Then, it dawned on me,
they might be Sandhills. I quickly got my binoculars and went outside.
Immediately I could clearly hear the characteristic sound of Sandhills.
Wow! What luck! Sure enough, it was a group of about 50 Sandhill
Cranes flying South. They were flying just West of Mt. Olympus in a
southerly direction, I'd guess they were coming from the Cache
Valley/Logan area, and are heading toward Delta, Utah. What a great

sight!

Last year, on October 13, (2004) I made a similar post about seeing
roughly the same number of Sandhills flying South. The next day, I
received a note from Richard W. in Brownsville, Texas indicating that
Sandhills were arriving. If Richard is out there, please drop us a line
at BirdTalk to let us know how they're doing.

Happy Birding,

Matthew Wallace.