Unusual goldfinch question

Peter,
Have you considered an escaped cage bird?
I once saw a strange black and orange bird flocking with red-winged
blackbirds in a corn field in Springville. Being a brand new birder I
looked through all the guide books in vain for this beautiful bird that
resembled a yellowheaded blackbird, but the yellow part was a brilliant
orange-red, the back was brownish red and it was smaller. A thought came
to me to go to the pet store, and there I found the bird, the Orange
Bishop, an African native depicted in a book for exotic cage birds. I
have seen a few live individuals in pet stores since.
As I remember, Milton mentioned seeing a strange finch at his feeders
several years ago.
Since finches are some of the most common cage birds,  this one could be
an escapee.

Just a thought   ~   Tuula