From: carlislejay
To: ible@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2005 8:19 PM
Subject: Purple Finch, BT Pigeon, Lawrence's

Greetings

A fun day of birding today began at Lucky Peak where I have been
trapping migrating raptors the last 2 days (see below).

I woke up to a Varied Thrush singing. Then, at about 845am I was on top
of the peak birding when I heard the distinctive "pit, pit-pit" flight
notes of a Purple Finch. It flew in from the S, landed on a Douglas Fir
for 20 seconds or so and flew off to the N calling again. Other finches
in teh area include Evening Grosbeaks (20+ today), Red Crossbills (10+
today), Cassin's Finches, and Pine Siskins.

Later, at about 1230, a Band-tailed Pigeon flew into the hawk-trapping
station (apparently seeking the company of our lure-birds!). It
remained for a minute or so and then returned again sometime after 3pm.
This is the second time I have seen this species at Lucky Peak; the
first was back in 1996.

Lastly, I ended the day at Barber Park hoping for a better look at the
Lawrence's Warbler first seen by Mark on Friday night (I had seen it
briefly Sat AM but in bad lighting) and was rewarded after only a quick
search. I found the bird only about 10m upstream of the fishing deck
and followed it for 10+ minutes as it slowly moved towards the fishing
deck.

The bird is quite stunning and was pretty cooperative this evening. I
recommend trying to see this bird to anyone in the area. Fun for me was
watching its foraging behavior which seemed to focus almost entirely on
dead leaves, prying them open and even dislodging a few and following
them to the ground.

As for raptors at Lucky Peak, flights have been dominated by Red-tails
(including a dark, immature Harlan's yesterday) and N Harriers lately.
We are already at record numbers for Harriers & getting close for Red-
tails. Sharp-shinned Hawks also continue to pass through and a few
Cooper's are still coming. Merlins & Goshawks have been seen with
regularity lately (1 of each banded yesterday) but we saw none today.
The owl crew continues to capture a few Saw-whet Owls each night and
they were quite vocal last night. Owl season ends Thursday night & hawk-
watching continues through the end of the month.

Cheers,

Jay Carlisle, Idaho Bird Observatory

Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home
page
http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/70TolB/TM

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible