Whites Valley Specialties

This morning an intrepid group of Great Salt Lake Audubonners headed to
north-central Box Elder County to Whites Valley seeking Gray Partridge,
Sharp-tailed Grouse and raptors.  I suppose I could end this post by
simply telling you we saw Gray Partridge, Sharp-tailed Grouse and
raptors, but that would make this post waaaaaay too brief.

In preparation for finding partridge, there were
hopes...dreams...prayers...scouting...intelligence-gathering from
hunters and landowners of the valley...and then a covey of about 30 Gray
Partridge crossed the road in front of us on our drive to the valley
from the interstate.  The spot was 2-3 miles from the interstate exit
(the whole road to the southeast corner of the valley is 4 miles long)
and at the only place where another dirt road enters from the east.  All
the partridge eventually flew across a narrow plowed field west of the
road and several stayed along the edge where we studied them with an
army of spotting scopes.

Three or four partridge sat fatly among clods of dirt like gray and rust
bowling balls.  We had the opportunity to study their orange and tan
faces, rust barring along the sides and flanks, and one bird's
indistinct brown 'horseshoe' on her belly.  In addition, the rust outer
tail feathers were quite apparent when the birds initially flared while
landing along the sagebrush edge.  Whoopee!  The event was a life bird
sighting for some of our participants.

The number of Mountain Bluebirds at the southeast end of the valley was
significant.  We also saw good numbers of breathtakingly blue bluebirds
at the first turn north through crop fields.  Other birds making an
appearance were American Pipits, Horned Larks, Western Meadowlarks, a
Prairie Falcon, an American Kestrel and lots of Red-tailed Hawks,
Northern Harriers and Common Ravens.

Our group spread out in a Sharp-tailed Grouse dragnet at the north end
of the valley east of the double silos (private land) and ended up
flushing 10-15 Sharp-tails in ones, twos, and threes on the round trip.
In addition, we flushed another covey of 8-10 Gray Partridge when we
reached the slope on the east side.

Please be aware that virtually all of Whites Valley is private and
posted 'No Trespassing'.  Landowners have experienced vandalism of farm
equipment and occasionally, hunters hunting without permission.
Visitors off the road may be questioned by either landowners or DWR law
enforcement officers.  The landowner who granted me access in advance of
today's trip was very accomodating toward birders, but PLEASE make sure
you have specific permission before you enter posted areas.

We stopped at Salt Creek WMA on the way home.  The most common bird
sighted was the Ivory-billed Gallinule skillfully identified by Steve
Sommerfeld.  These birds look very, very similar to the American Coot.
Eagle-eye Deedee O'Brien spotted one Canvasback among Redheads,
eagle-eye Geoff Hardies spotted a pair of Ruddies, and eagle-eye Steve
spotted Gadwall.  Other species sighted were Greater Yellowlegs and
American Avocets, Western and Pied-billed Grebes, an American Pelican,
Great Blue Herons, White-faced Ibis, Mallards, a Snowy Egret, a handful
of resident and migrant sparrows, Marsh Wrens, and the ugliest bug I've
ever seen, which Sylvia Gray suggested was related to the Jerusalem
Cricket.

If you use the photo blinds, be aware that a Barn Owl and Barn Swallows
have used the west blind too and you might want to take along a bottle
of Lysol.  Eeeeuuuuw.

Additional partridge, grouse, and waterfowl watchers included Cindy
Sommerfeld, Roberta Wherritt, Dave Hanscom, Taz Harrington, Candy
Zaffis, and Julianne Peterson.

Whites Valley is located 4 miles north of Ranch Exit 32, I-84.  Salt
Creek WMA is located west of Bear River City and north of the Box Elder
County Landfill.  To reach Salt Creek, take I-15 to exit 365, Corinne.
Turn west on SR-13 and pick up SR-83 in Corinne.  Drive west to 6800W
and turn right (north).  Drive north to 6800N and turn left (west).
Watch for the intersection with signs directing travelers south into the
landfill or north into Salt Creek.  Turn right and drive until you reach
the parking lot at Compton's Knoll where you'll find an elevated viewing
area, handicapped access to a photo blind at water's edge, and a pit
toilet.