Provo Airport Dike

    I went down to the Provo Airport Dike this afternoon to search the area that we will be having the big sit on this Sunday. We will be sitting at the southeast corner of the airport dike and would love to have company for any part of the day. There was a large number of shorebirds at the northeast corner of the dike, including hundreds of Dowitchers, Baird's Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, Western Sandpiper, Killdeer, Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs, American Avocet, Black-necked Stilt and White-faced Ibis. Also a Pacific race Merlin was also at the corner of the dike.There were some Franklins Gulls and Forester's Terns at the corner. Right before you get to the southwest corner in the marshes in the lake was a Horned Grebe almost in winter plumage with still some red on his neck. I saw about forty species of birds on the dike today. It was so wonderful to be out and about birding today.
    I hope to see people out for the National Big Sit on Sunday. You can join a group of Provo Birders or start your own big sit circle. I would love to see Utah more represented. Below is the link to the webpage for more information.
http://www.birdwatchersdigest.com/site/funbirds/bigsit/bigsit.aspx

KC Childs