UOS Quick chase - Ground-Dove - NOT

At least -- Not Yet.  The reason this is being sent out on BirdTalk
instead of BirdNet is that the Ground-Dove reported yesterday by Aaron
Smith in Morgan City has not been seen since.  And he has been all
morning at the spot where he observed it yesterday.

It is undoubtedly a Ground-Dove, the field marks suggest a female Ruddy
rather than a Common.  Ground-Doves are very uncommon in Utah,
especially northern Utah.  In fact, there is only one record of Ruddy
Ground-Dove, and that was around St. George.

If this bird is naturally occurring and not a cage-escapee, it is very
confused and way out of range, and so could come and go like a wisp of
smoke.  If it's a cage bird it probably wouldn't be as skittish as Aaron
reported.

Two summers ago I had a Summer Tanager in my yard that I observed for 5
minutes.  When it took off, I couldn't see where it went, and no other
birder in SL County or anywhere else ever noticed or commented on it.
So, there is no telling how many supposedly rare birds are flitting
around the landscape that few qualified observers ever see.  Hopefully
this bird will yet be seen again so we can get a better fix on it.

Steve Carr
UOS Field Trip Coordinator