Hybrid Duck Gets Its Due

Consider this message a follow-up to the follow-up.  I've posted two
messages about a hybrid duck I saw at Farmington Bay WMA in November
2004:

http://utahbirds.org/listarchives/birdtalk/msg01513.html

http://utahbirds.org/listarchives/birdtalk/msg02426.html

This is chapter 3 and this time, I've got photographs.

I recently learned that Arnold Smith of Wasatch Audubon saw and
photographed a hybrid he believed to be a Bufflehead x Common Goldeneye
in March 1999.  This duck spent several days in a Weber Canyon pond at
the rest stop between South Weber's exit 87 and Mountain Green's exit
92.  The bird was subsequently observed by Keith Evans and Jack Rensel.
Arnold wrote an article about his hybrid in Utah Birds, the journal of
the Utah Ornithological Society.

Arnold gave me a set of his photos last week.  My reaction?  "OHMYGOSH,
that's my duck!"  I felt as though I had used Arnold's pictures to write
my description.  Feast your eyes:

http://utahbirds.org/featarts/HybridDuck.htm

My favorite photo is the 5th one down--the comparison shot with the
juvenile goldeneye.  The hybrid looks like a caricature of a duck from a
cartoon--the dastardly evil duck.  That's the way I remember the bird I
saw at Farmington last November.

I sent a copy of Arnold's photographs to Eric and Barry Gillham, hybrid
duck researchers in the UK, for confirmation of Arnold's ID.  I also
described the slight variations between Arnold's hybrid and mine,
including my duck's iris color (pale gold vs. Arnold's dark
reddish-brown), no dark 'hook' on the back of my bird's white cheek, and
thin black edges to my duck's scapulars.  The Gillhams replied and
confirmed both the parentage of Arnold's bird and mine--both ducks were
Bufflehead x Common Goldeneye.  Yeeeeeee-haw!  The Gillhams plan to
include Arnold's hybrid in their next bulletin.

Arnold's sighting brings the number of documented records of this cross
to five--mine was the fourth.  What are the odds that two of the five
known records in the world came from Utah and from members of the same
birding club?!?  Is it because we have hybrid duck karma up here?  Yea,
verily; that's the answer.  I'm not going to suggest this hybrid might
be more common than documented thus far, because that explanation is
entirely too boring.

No matter what, this chapter in the hybrid duck's tale is providing me a
needed a break from all these serious ID challenges of late.  Here goes
the rest of it.  I can't keep calling this hybrid a Bufflehead x Common
Goldeneye or Common Goldeneye x Bufflehead--the name is too long.  I'm
going to combine both parent species' 4-letter bird banding acronyms to
create a new name.  It sounds something like a breakfast cereal.
Hereafter, this hybrid shall be called the COGOBUFF.

And that, as Forrest Gump says, is all I have to say about that.