WBFI Research Foundation

Here is the message that I tried to forward earlier:

WBFI Research Foundation launches one  million dollar feed and feeder
preferences study; and we're pleased to share this information with our indu
stry
friends!

Sioux Falls,SD -
Which wild bird feed attracts more birds?
Thatâs the question the WBFI Research Foundation seeks to  answer th
roughout
a three year, one million dollar study, aptly named Project  WILDBIRD.
This landmark study is an unprecedented scientific  investigation into the
feeding habits of wild birds across the United States and  Canada. Comprehen
sive
research data generated by the study will provide  invaluable insight and
guidelines for consumers regarding wild bird feed and  feeder-type preferenc
es
during all seasons of the year in 13 eco-regions.
A United States Government survey conducted in 2001 reported  that 54 millio
Americans spend over $3 billion annually feeding wild birds and  other
wildlife. With wild bird feeding and watching one of the fastest growing  ho
bbies in
North America, consumers simply want to know which feed attracts  preferred
species.
"In order to determine which feed attracts more birds, we must  also look at

the various feeder styles, geographical location and seasonal  influences,"
according to George Petrides,Sr., Project Leader for the study.  "What draws

birds to one feeder location in Virginia may not offer the same  results for

feeders in Colorado."
Project WILDBIRD is a two-phase scientific study, and began  September 22.
"The observational approach provides a snapshot of the birds  that visit one
s backyard," according to Dr. David J. Horn, Ph.D, Principal  Investigator f
or
the study. "Itâs an ideal way for backyard birders to  participate i
n the
study, while continuing to enjoy feeding and watching birds  as they normall
do."
In the second phase, or experimental approach, participants  will be given
feed and feeders and asked to monitor birds at feeders in a more  structured

manner. "The experimental approach will allow us to answer important  questi
ons
about feed and feeder preferences of wild birds using a more  controlled
approach," stated Horn.
"At the conclusion of this study in 2008, weâll have definitive  ans
wers to
these questions: what are the feed and feeder preferences of wild  birds, an
are those preferences the same across different regions and through  various

seasons?"
"These are extremely important questions that consumers want  answered. They

want to reduce wasted feed, and purchase those products that  attract more
birds," stated Dick Hebert, President of the WBFI Research  Foundation.
For more information on participating or contributing to  Project WILDBIRD
visit www.projectwildbird.org .

If you have any questions about this study, or  would like further
information, please contact:
Susan M. Hays, CMP/Executive Director
WBFI Research Foundation, Project  WILDBIRD
Telephone: 888-839-1237
Fax: 605-275-6697
Email: _shays@wbfi.org_ (mailto:shays@wbfi.org)
Website: _www.projectwildbird.org_ (http://www.projectwildbird.org/)