Merlin in Morgan County

Pomera Fronce and I saw a MERLIN near the Morgan City Water Treatment
Lagoons in Morgan County this morning.  This merlin was either a female
or juvenile prairie merlin, F.c. richardsonii.  I was somewhat surprised
to see a Merlin this early as I usually don't start seeing numbers of
them until the cold weather sets in in late fall.  However, Wheeler's
Raptors of Western North America says the first juveniles arrive in
early September.

Wow--did we have a good long look at this falcon in the scope--for
perhaps 15 or 20 minutes.

The Merlin was perched in the dead upper branches of an otherwise live
tree and was receiving LOTS of attention from other birds.  We saw
agitated American Goldfinches and House Finches land in the dead
branches or fly over to worry the Merlin.  Several Barn Swallows
expressed their displeasure by diving at the falcon from overhead.  But
the funniest sight was a Downy Woodpecker we heard whinnying and flying
in from afar.  That woodpecker really wanted to land, but the falcon's
presence was too intimidating.  The Downy followed one circling,
scalloping flight path above the tree, and then another, and then a
third.  Three times was enough to understand the avian 'No Vacancy'
sign, and the Downy flew off to find its own Merlin-free snag.

Nice bird for a warm, sunny summer day!