Pectoral Sandpipers at Provo Airport Dike

I checked the mud flats at the Southeast corner of the Provo Airport Dike this morning (where the road first meets the lake). Amongst the hundreds of Western Sandpipers and Killdeer I saw 5 Pectoral Sandpipers, a couple Wilson's Phalaropes, a few Lesser Yellowlegs and many Avocets.

On the far side of the mudflat there was a large group of Caspian Terns. I counted 127. This is the most caspians I have ever seen in one place. At the front edge of the snoozing flock of caspians there was a tern with a black cap and white forehead and what looked like a pale bill (the bird was quite distant). Compared to the caspians this bird looked like a tiny flee. By it's size I thought it looked like a Least Tern. When it flew the shape and flight seemed to me more like one of the average sized terns and as it flew I could see a dark leading edge on the top side of the wing. So maybe it was a Common Tern. There were Forester's Terns in the area but they were all on the other side of the road and I couldn't get a size comparison with the mystery tern or the caspian terns. I didn't get to see the tern long and I didn't have time to stay and look for it. Be on the lookout for a possible least tern if you bird the area.

Other birds at the mud flat - AW Pelican, WF Ibis, Sn Egret, BC Night-Heron, Cal & RB Gulls, Frank Gulls, SH Crane and 'brown' Ducks.

Eric Huish
Pleasant Grove UT
poorwill_@hotmail.com
801-360-8777