Possible Hooded Merganser?

Hi all,

I just got back from going to the storage locker in Logan, and I brought along a scope and binocs, as I had noticed that there were a few places were there were water and birds along the way, especially on 1900 West, near the Logan Landfill, and on 200 North, past the county jail.

I also stopped at 20/20 Ponds, in addition to the above spots, and I saw what I believe to be a Hooded Merganser(?). He had white behind his eye, like a hood, but too much white to be a female Bufflehead, nor did he appear to me to be a male Bufflehead, and his bill appeared to be the COLOR of that of a HOME. I wasn't able to see the color of his eye, but I did note that his legs were orange. The rest of his plumage mas messed up, so he didn't resemble a male HOME at all, except for his "hood" (there was also more black behind his eyes than a Bufflehead). Unless this bird is some weird crossbreed "freak", I would say I'm pretty certain it's a HOME, and if anyone on list is in or near Logan, they should go and check this bird out. He was located on the south end of the pond, near the intersection of 2000 West and 2200 South.

Good luck,
Richard