LITTLE GULL

Utah Birders:

I received the following comments this morning from a well-known Utah
birder:
  I don't understand why we can have a Little Gull in the area, which is

  sometimes seen in the winter on the east coast, and "rarely stray
  elsewhere" (Kaufmann p. 76), while a bird which is seen on the Pacific

  coast ALL YEAR can never stray east.

  Go figure.

I am not an ornithologist, but I can suggest a few reasons for the
LITTLE GULL's appearance in Idaho:
  1.. Firstly, this species is a known vagrant.  It is a bird native to
northern Eurasia and was first recorded in North America in 1819.  The
first breeding record was in 1962.  Since then it has established small
breeding colonies near the northern Great Lakes and Hudson Bay.  I first
saw one on the New Jersey coastline in mid-winter.
  2.. More significantly I think, single birds associate with
Bonaparte's Gulls, which migrate from their breeding grounds in central
and northwestern Canada to both Atlantic and Pacific coasts.  This lone
bird may simply have been a tag-along.  Remember that Cliff Weisse
reported Bonaparte's Gulls at Island Park Reservoir too.
  3.. Another remote possibility is that it is an Asian bird that came
into North America via Alaska.  Slaty-backed Gulls from northeastern
Asia have been recorded across North America in winter, as far south as
TX.  (I have seen one in the Pribilof Islands off mainland AK.)
  4.. A few Sabine's Gulls also occur regularly in UT and ID in the
fall, presumably migrating from their breeding grounds in the high
Arctic out onto the oceans where they spend the winter.
  5.. Ivory and Ross's Gulls occasionally stray south in winter too.  I
once chased a ROGU for 2 days near Baltimore, alas with no success. :(
So I think we can simply put this bird down as a vagrant or straggler,
which Cliff thankfully was sharp enough to spot.  Remember that a
Hudsonian Godwit was also recently reported in ID.

As for the remark about Pacific coast birds, I think the answer is
simple.  If they have an adequate food supply, they have no incentive to
migrate elsewhere.  Of course an occasional bird may be storm-blown or
simply take a wrong turn.  Remember we had a Wandering Tattler appear on
the eastern Great Salt Lake shore during 2 consecutive years in the
early 2000s.  Who knows why?

That's what makes birding interesting and exciting!

Jim