BAS field trip to Logan polishing pond / Tony Grove hike

On Saturday, BAS took a trip out to Logan cities newest waste water treatment pond. It is a large, planted and simulated wetland area.

Highlight species included:

Marbled Godwit

Solitary Sandpiper

Pectoral Sandpiper

Western Sandpiper

Bairds Sandpiper

Spotted Sandpiper

Sora

Greater Yellowlegs

Least Sandpiper

On Sunday, Carolee and I hiked the Cold Water canyon trail, that makes it way to the back/south side of Tony Grove Lake.

I found:

Clark's Nutcracker

MacGillavry's Warbler

Yellow-rumped Warbler

Mt. Chickadee

Brown Creeper

Mt. Bluebird (3 females and 2 juveniles; we watched one of the females hover above a meadow, dart down and come up with a grasshopper that she took to the juvenile and fed)

Hairy Woodpecker

Three-toed Woodpecker (a single male with distinctive yellow-cap and barred flanks)

Western Wood Pee-Wee

Pine Siskin

Calliope Hummingbird

Broad-tailed Hummingbird

Black-chinned Hummingbird

(all hummers exhibiting territorial aerial acrobatics)

Western Tanager

Red-tailed Hawk

Chipping Sparrow

Song Sparrow

Common Raven

Orange-crowned Warbler

and one lumbering cow moose that we spooked along the upper campground road.