Peregrine Falcons

Hi Folks -

Here is an update I received on the falcons from Bob Walters:

I watched Slowpoke last night until after 2130. She perched and preened
above the adult male at the northeast corner of the JSMB for quite some
time. No wailing. Then she flew off to perch upon the hand of Moroni
(the right one that holds the trumpet) for a nice rest that lasted for
about an hour. She appeared to enjoy the cool, evening breeze and view
from that very high perch site. As per normal, at about 2100 she circled
up to the tall Church Office Building and came to rest on the west edge
of the "shoulder" of that structure and began to wail up a storm. The
adult male perched on that edge as well which did little more than
induce the fledgling to wail on and fly about causing the adult male to
move away, re-land and, ultimately, fly to parts unknown. When I
departed the fledgling was perched on the west edge of that building
below the Plexiglas surrounding the observation deck. I'm guessing that
she often now uses that site as her spot to roost during darkness hours.
When (at what dark hour) she ceases to wail is almost anyone's guess!

As for Sideline: no real change. JoAnn continues to work with the bird
paying particular attention to his ability to vault up to a higher perch
from a low one, etc. As I understand it, Sideline is not eating as he
should, but JoAnn is providing it a quail now and again to see if he
begins to show more interest in feeding as a "normal" peregrine should.
I'd like to believe (trying to be optimistic) that with time, his
grogginess (defined as weak and unsteady on the feet or in action) will
disappear and we can make a flyer out of him (for release in the Fall)!

Stay tuned. Keep your eye(s) out and wings up.

P.S. I, too, have recently observed Slowpoke perched on the microwave
tower as well as the front board of the JSMB nest box, bill/chest facing
the East.

Pomera