Owls

Last night, July 20, a group of 15 birders went on a Great Salt Lake
Audubon-sponsored trek to find some owls. We drove, while it was getting
dusky, to the location in East Canyon where East Canyon Creek joins the
paved road coming down from Big Mountain.  Although Great Horned Owls
have been observed there in the past, we were out of luck this time.  We
also attempted to attract Northern Pygmy-Owl, Western Screech-Owl,
Long-eared Owl and Common Poorwill.  Only the Screech-Owl responded by
voice, although did not come in close enough for a sighting.  We did see
a cruising Red-tailed Hawk, and a Common Nighthawk dancing overhead.

When it became completely dark, we went to Milepost 11 back up toward
Big Mountain.  After a few minutes, Flammulated Owls were heard, and we
were able to locate one of them for the participants.  This was a lifer
for many of the group.  Northern Saw-whet Owl was called for, and some
heard one in the distance, but, again, it did not come anywhere near
close to see.

The final owl was a raspy (probably immature) Great Horned Owl at the
south turn off at approximately MP 9.5. The full moon was supposed to be
of help for some of the owls, but it didn't rise until 10:30 p.m.
Although we would have liked to have seen more, at least we saw two
owls, plus the nighthawk at dusk.