Monte Cristo

Acting quickly on Kris Purdy's Monte Cristo post I ventured up there today.  Sure enough, the Willamson's Sapsuckers were busy feeding there young.  I sure am glad Kris carries that surveyors tape with her!  (And I'm gald it is pink as in other places I commonly see other colors of surveyors tape.) Thanks a million Kris, very easy to locate. I birded only around the gravel pit area nest.  Had wonderful looks at both the male and female.  If anybody is looking for photos, Kris is right that it is a heavily shaded area.  However, out of sheer happenstance I found that the cavity hole is in at least partial to filtered sun starting at 12:30 at least until 1:30 (which is when I left, probably at least another half hour more). From 11:30 to 12:30 it was in shade.  However, as Kris state each has its favorite perch near the nest (the male a little further away, but not much) and these were both in the sun the whole time I was there (about two hours or so).

Also, this may just be a matter of perception but I would guess that the cavity hole is between 30-35 feet off of the ground.  And the chickadee nest is about 10 feet below it.  It was active, but the chickadee is a bit faster and more shy than the sapsucker for photos (maybe it is my interest as well).  There is another cavity inbetween those two which had no birds come in or out while I was there.  It may be a cavity from last year.  That cavity is more visible from the west side of the tree.

While in that area I also saw one CLARK'S NUTCRACKER and two PURPLE MARTINS.  Both were fly overs and though the Purple Martins' size was obvious, they were nice enough to call out for me to confirm it.  I also saw Pine Siskin and Cassin's Finch.  I tried to follow the Purple Martins to see if I could locate a nest, but alas without a trail system to quickly navigate the vegetation I quickly lost them.

On the way back I stopped off in Huntsville to see if I could locate the Bobolink's east of town (see previous post by Kris Purdy).  I drove the road, stopped several times, played the CD, but did not see nor hear any.  Along that road I did see RW Blackbirds, Spotted Sandpiper (there is a little pond that you have to look over the vegetation to see), Song Sparrow, Barn Swallow, and Sandhill Cranes.  The grass was still very tall except for when you first turn onto that dirt road that Kris described, the farmer was cutting the field immediately on your left (as you turn onto the road).

Brian