Yellow-breasted Chats and Blue Grosbeaks

Thanks to Pomera and Milton giving us great directions, my husband and I finally saw the Chats and Blue Grosbeaks at Goshen Canyon.  The Chats were so active today that I can't imagine why we never saw them there before.  They were playing tag with each other and giving traffic directions with that "beep beep, go left go right" call of theirs that reminds me of a traffic cop. They have such bright, intelligent eyes and are so social.  We sure had fun watching them.  We also got to see the Blue Grosbeaks in the same area.  They are too beautiful.  We saw 2 males but no female. The Grosbeaks didn't want to let us get a good photo of them but here's a link to the Chats. The Blue Grosbeak was a life bird for my husband and my first for this year.

http://www.wildutah.us/h_chat_yb.html

When we got back home, the black oil seed in one of our tube bird feeders had gone down about halfway and a young house finch had stuck his head way down in trying to get to the seed, got his head stuck and died there.  What gruesome sight and such a terrible accident.  Had we been home, maybe we could have saved him.

Nicky Davis