More on Scott's Orioles

Having a chance to use the internet, I see this is quite an on going talk, and I
thought I would add something.  Scott's Orioles have been found as far north as
Rock Springs, Wyoming and there are several areas in southwest Wyoming with
Juniper Woodlands that this species can be found.  The best for me has been
fairly productive the last 3 years, about ~10 miles north of the Utah Border on
Highway 191 on the east side of Flaming Gorge.  This year I had 6, yes 6
Scott's Orioles on a 2.5 mile transect. I saw 1 male and 1 female and heard 4
males singing at various points.  In the past I had as many as 3 but this year
was quite a treat. This is obviously close to Utah, and checking any of the
habitat along 191 in Daggett or Uintah may turn something up. In Utah I have
seen this species in San Juan County on the eastside of Lake Powel aong highway
95, where there are extensive tracts of Juniper.  What would be neat is to find
this species in the southwest corner of Salt Lake Coutny near Butterfield
Canyon where other Juniper species can be seen including Juniper Titmouse,
Black-throated Gray Warbler, and Gray Flycatcher.  Something I will keep in
mind during July while I am home for a bit.

Good Birding

Tim

Salt Lake City, UT and Southwest, WY
http://www.timaverybirding.com