Fwd: Cooper's Hawk attacked me!

Birdnet e-mail from the website

----Original Message Follows----
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 21:45:14 -0600 (MDT)

It was submitted by markraddatz@hotmail.com

Subject: Cooper's Hawk attacked me!

Email_Address: markraddatz@hotmail.com

Message: I was up at Rock Canyon park today and got attacked by a cooper's
hawk. Has this happened to anyone else? I was down in the trees off to the
right of the main trail from the entrance to the park. I was looking through
my binoculars when I heard it start calling. I was excited to see it, but
was focused in on a Lazuli Bunting. All of the sudden I heard a big swoosh
right over my head. I ducked and looked up to see the hawk flying away. I
was kind of hidden behing a small tree and wondered if the hawk was hunting
something and had just not seen me. I looked at it through my binoculars
where it had landed not far from me. It started calling again and dove down
out of the trees. It came right at me. It was gliding about 5 feet of the
ground. I ducked and stuck my hand up right as it got to me. It veered
away from me right at the last second. I watched as it flew pretty far away
and landed in a tree. I figured that was a great time to get the heck outta
there.!
I started backtracking pretty quickly when it came at me again. I
couldn't believe it! The same thing happened. I watched as it came close,
then my reflexes took over and I ducked and stuck my hands up in the air
just as it veered away. It flew off about 100 yards. I got all the way
back to the main trail. The hawk dove down again and headed toward me, but
turned about half way from me and flew back up the hillside. I'm sure I was
intruding on it's nesting area or something, but I've birded at that same
location lots of times before. It kind of shook me up a little! I tried
birding for a few minutes more, but decided I'd call it a day!