Breeding Common Mergansers at Pineview

I've been harboring suspicions that Common Mergansers breed at Pineview
Reservoir in Weber County.  Now I know--it's true, it's true!  This
afternoon I saw an adult female Common Merganser swimming through the
flooded willows at water's edge south of the Middle Inlet Swim Area road
with two young ducklings.  I'd guess that the little ones were less than
2 weeks old.

I saw pair(s) of Common Mergansers throughout the month of May at
Pineview, a time that seems way too late for a northern breeder still to
be present on the lake.  In addition, last summer while driving near the
dam in a 55-mile blur, I saw three Common Mergansers on June 13th that I
assumed were all females.  I figured they were independent, wild and
crazy girls that were concentrating on their careers instead of getting
tied down with families.  Now I've had second thoughts.  I bet the trio
was a mom swimming with her adult-sized ducklings. I wish I had stopped
to take a closer look.

Most range maps show the Common Merganser to be only a transient or
winter resident of Utah.  The Utah checklist classifies the bird as a
rare summer resident and several years ago, Mark Stackhouse mentioned
breeding had just been confirmed at the Deseret Ranch.  Add Pineview to
the list of Common Merganser Northern Utah breeding locations!