The Birds of Goshen

Greetings -

When a Short-eared Owl flew by us on our way to Goshen, Jack Clark and I
knew we were in for a good day.  Actually, I knew it was going to be a
good day when I woke up and saw that it wasn't raining (or snowing) and
realized I could go out birding.

Goshen Canyon was very active today.  Some of the birds we saw were Blue
Grosbeak, Yellow-breasted Chat, Pinyon Jay, Bullock's Oriole, Western
Tanager and Western Kingbird.

In the fields north of Goshen, the best birds were Bobolink and Common
Nighthawk.  Here we saw a young Raven being harrassed by a Killdeer pair
- poor guy didn't know what to do.  Seems he was trying hard to get out
of the way, but the harder he tried the worse it got.  Because his
flying skills were not too keen yet, he had to depend on hopping and
fluttering and he kept landing where the Killdeer didn't want him to be.
 All three birds were screaming at the top of their lungs.  The
altercation sounded much worse than it really was.  Finally, the Raven
got himself to a place that made the Killdeer happy and peace was
restored to the fields.

Pomera