Re: An Appeal - change of range

[Range, distribution, habitat]

My "firsts" are usually miniscule compared to most of you. Today was the first time in 19 years that I've ever had a male & female California Quail provide escort along the sidewalk to my office location at SLCC (4600 S Redwood Rd). These little cuties are all over the east and central areas of the Salt Lake valley, but I've watched with interest at what seems to be a slow migration westward. Over time, they've moved from east side locations (higher concentrations near water/streams) to the Jordan River area, and now to points west in canal vicinities. One such canal travels just east and north of the SLCC campus. Another habitat is in the 22nd West 90th South area of West Jordan. A welcome sight!

They've been heard and seen near the campus for several years, but never seen out roaming the open areas like today. Oddly, it was in the same vicinity where flocks of Cedar Waxwings were seen munching on the seed pods of a particular tree over a month ago. Still many bean-like seeds on the ground. Suppose that's not really odd then, is it.

Seems most of us only want to report the sensational. Happy to do my job reporting the mundane, which usually means birding from a car or while at work.

Off-topic, I did see a large soaring bird tangle with a smallish and unseen dust devil in a schoolyard near my home. Amazing. Without a single flap, this bird* crawled into the small twister/thermal at only 25' above ground and rode it to 900' above ground.
* Not a real bird, but a 10' r/c sailplane :-)....a different dimension to birdwatching. Like Falconing, this bird goes hunting, returns to its owner, and is exhilarating to experience.
John

Birders,

   Please consider reporting your sightings more frequently on
   birdtalk/birdnet.  I'm amazed that during what's possibly the best
time
   of year to bird, so few reports come across the listservs.  You
don't
   have to be a blabbermouth like me to report what you're seeing--a
simple
   list that includes what, where, when and how to get back there, if
   appropriate, would fill the needs of most people.

   I learn a lot from what others report and I'm particularly
interested in
   the range, distribution, and habitat of Utah birds.  So please help
me
   learn!  Thanks.