Silver Lake - Mirror Lake Highway

Hi,

Sunday I went up to Brighton to check the snow at Silver Lake, and there is 6
to 10 feet still on the ground. Needs a couple of more weeks. I did find a
Lincoln's Sparrow by the stream next to the cafe. The lower areas looked to be
mostly snow free, but I did not stop.

Today Bob Huntington and I went up to see how far you could go on the Mirror
Lake Highway. There is a bridge out above the Murdock Basin turnoff and the
road is blocked there. We found two GRAY JAY'S at about milepost 19.5. Also
found a Hammond's Flycatcher a little lower. The Ruby-crowned Kinglets were
flashing full crowns and put on a bit of a show. Lots of Cassin's Finches, Pine
Siskins, a few Red-naped Sapsuckers, lots of Townsend's Solitares, four Red
Crossbills, juncos, and one very dark woodpecker or sapsucker flying away that did
not stop. The drizzling rain never stopped completely either, so we birded from
the car. If anyone knows how long the highway will be blocked, we all would
like to know.

Jack Binch