my intro

Hello fellow birders of Utah!

I'm new to the list so I thought I'd say hello with an intro. I hope
that's OK with the list etiquette.

I'm Ron and my non-birding wife is Nancy.

I've been in Utah since 93 when the USAF transferred me out this way.
I'm still stationed at Hill and likely will be when I become eligible
to retire (1.5 years to go and at age 40ish). Nancy is an elementary
school teacher. I'm from Tennessee and she's from Minnesota originally.

We just moved to South Ogden (old Shadow Valley) from Eden Utah.
Changes in my work hours made the 50 minute commute less of a joy so we
sold our great place up there. Regulars at our home in Eden were the
American Goldfinch, Tree Swallow, Lazuli Bunting, Western Meadowlark,
Black-Headed Grosbeak, Wild Turkey, Redwing Blackbird, Northern
Flicker, Various Owls, Raptors and Humming Birds, as well as some of
the usual "suspects". I bought my first bird book after we had three
straight days of 30 or so Mountain Bluebirds dropping by our snow
covered yard. I've been keeping an eye on our feathered friends ever
since. Taking my feeders down was a sad experience but I left the house
I built for the Tree Swallows and hopefully the new owners will
maintain it.

We bought our old-new place from the original owners from 69. It has
quite the rock garden in the back yard. I only put out nyjer thistle
and so far have regular Lesser Goldfinch. Others not coming for the
thistle are a regular group of California Valley Quail and something
that probably should be a Western Scrub-Jay and babies but looks more
like Mr. David Allen Sibley's Texas Jay. I need to look at some other
photos/sketches. Twice within the last week I've spotted a Green Tailed
Towhee and have had one sighting of a Downy Woodpecker. Not bad for a
small "city" lot I suppose.

I regret not getting photos of my pals in the mountains so this time I
ordered up a Nikon D70 and 300mm lens. I hope you folks don't mind a
having a couple of photos posted from time to time. I've had the camera
for a couple of weeks but the 18-70mm lens it came with isn't for
birding. My 300mm is to be delivered tomorrow. : )

I'd be up for a monthly daytrip for bird photography if that kinda
thing goes on among list members. That's as long as no one laughs at my
plastic tripod and little Swift Ultralites. We have a lot of hobbies
that share that small slice of the budget! Sundays are the best
fieldtrip days for me.

I'm glad to be back to birding. Maybe I'll see you on the trail.

Cheers,

Ron Wheeler