Northern Waterthrush at Jordanelle

I finally found it!  After numerous trips over the past years, chasing Bob
Huntington's reports with no success, I saw the waterthrush this morning.
My wife and I were walking along the path and heard him singing.  I lucked
out and found him right away and had lots of good looks (at the bird, that
is).

It's at the location where people were seeing him year before last.  If you
walk along the path from the north, you first cross a long boardwalk heading
west toward the river.  The path then goes generally south along a line of
trees and swampy areas.  After crossing a couple of bridges, you pass the
trees, and there are a couple of large beaver ponds on the right.  Just
before those ponds, in the last group of trees that are growing out of the
swampy area on the right, is where he was this morning at about 9:30.

One other sighting of note was the Black-crowned Night-heron.  It was high
up in a cottonwood tree south of the south end of the trail through the
wetlands area.  From the south parking lot, cross the river and continue
south on the dirt road.  There's a large pond on the right a little ways
down the road.  We first flushed him from a spruce tree next to the pond,
then saw him later in a cottonwood left of the road near a gravel trail
that goes over to the river.  I'm not sure what he was doing up so high,
but he was nice enough to pose at all angles so we could see every detail.

Another great day of birding!

Dave Hanscom