FW: The Ivory-billed and the IBA

Here's a note from the local folks about the Ivory-billed and the IBA program there. It's especially of interest to anyone who wants to try to see this bird, as it has a link to information about where to go to see it. Apparently there are certain areas off-limits, but they have designated sites where the bird has been seen that birders can go to look for it.

From: Dan Scheiman <birddan@COMCAST.NET>
To: ARBIRD-L@LISTSERV.UARK.EDU
Subject: The Ivory-billed and the IBA
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2005 16:28:06 +0000

AR-BIRDers,

Little did I know when I moved to Arkansas three weeks ago to become Audubon Arkansas’ Bird Conservation Director that an Ivory-billed Woodpecker would be found in the state. It is lucky for me, and especially lucky for Arkansas. It is also good that the area where the species was found has already been declared an Important Bird Area by Audubon – The Cache-Lower White Rivers IBA. The adjacent Bayou DeView, where sightings have occurred, also is an IBA. The IBA program was established to identify and monitor sites that harbor birds of conservation interest, significant numbers of birds, and their habitat. The finding of this woodpecker suggests that the IBA program is successfully identifying such sites. And now the Cache-Lower White Rivers IBA is not only a state IBA but a GLOBAL IBA – that is something Arkansans can be proud of!

We are all eager to see this bird and add it to our lifelist, but I encourage restraint; too many birders out there at once could disturb the bird. We should all promote the American Birding Associations code of conduct among birders and non-birders alike. The Cache River NWR personnel have declared 5,000 acres off limits to the public, but have also suggested other areas where the bird may be viewed. For more information, including a map, see http://www.fws.gov/cacheriver/

More about the IBA program

The Important Bird Areas program is the focal point for Audubon’s bird conservation work. It is a global effort to identify areas most important for bird populations, and to focus conservation efforts on those sites. The foundation of the IBA program is its emphasis on science-based identification, monitoring and conservation of birds and the habitats they need to survive. The Important Bird Areas Program starts with the foundation of site identification and prioritization for conservation action. It relies on local stewardship and at the core focuses on engaging individuals, private landowners, local communities, and government agencies. The result is a network of IBAs with a community of support working to conserve, restore, and maintain bird habitats. Audubon chapters and volunteers constitute a true team of IBA citizen scientists, studying species population trends, assessing breeding success, evaluating threats to bird populations, and keeping ever-watchful eyes o!
n the places birds depend on. These places can be National Wildlife Refuges, National Parks and other public, protected lands, but they can also be private farms, ranches, or reserves, local parks, and other important private lands.

A form for nominating your favorite birding area as an IBA can be found at Audubon Arkansas’ website www.ar.audubon.org

Dan Scheiman, Ph.D. Bird Conservation Director, Audubon Arkansas 201 East Markham St., Suite 450 Little Rock, AR 72201 dscheiman@audubon.org 501-244-2229 501-244-2231 (fax) www.ar.audubon.org