Re: More Ivory-billed info

Hi Matt and Jim and all,

My theory on all this goes as follows. In 2002, Cornell spent the time to look for and record evidence that the Ivory-billed Woodpecker wasn't extinct, based on the 1999 report of a sighting by a Louisiana State graduate student. When Ms. Scott reported her sighting in 2003, they said, basically, "Yea right, whatever..." and didn't take her seriously.
Then, suddenly, in 2004 a kayaker reports seeing the bird. Guess what, his sighting has more credibility because the CLO people say, "Well, there's been two sightings in two years now. Maybe there is something to this after all..." So then they contact the kayaker. I suspect that had Ms. Scott made her report AFTER the kayaker, she would be the one being given the credit. I also suspect that had Ms. Scott not made her report in 2003, they kayaker wouldn't have been taken as seriously as he was.

Good birding,
Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: james.d.mcintyre To: Matthew J. Williams ; BIRDTALK Sent: Friday, April 29, 2005 10:24 AM Subject: Re: [BirdTalk] More Ivory-billed info

Matthew:

There are 2 ways of looking at this I think.

I have read some of Mary Scott's previous posts (http://www.birdingamerica.com/default.htm) on her dedicated longtime search for the Ivory-billed Woodpecker (IBWO) and found her both knowledgable and credible. She reported seeing the IBWO in Arkansas in Spring, 2003 although apparently none of her group did. Wisely, she did not publicize her findings - presumably to protect the bird and also her own credibility. Who would believe her under the circumstances? Most people would think she was hallucinating.

However, she did apparently report her sighting to Arkansas wildlife officials and the Cornell Lab (CLO). Obviously the CLO officials did not take her report seriously, as they sent no team to investigate in 2003. Now the Big Woods area is where the IBWO historically resided. So it would be a logical place to search and that's why she was there. (For a historical rangemap of the IBWO, see the CLO site

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/programs/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Ivory-bille=
d_Woodpecker_dtl.html#map)

To date I have read nothing about Gene Sparling other than that he is a resident of Hot Springs, AR and a kayaker. Is he also a birder or was he just exploring the Cache River NWR in his kayak? Did he have any connection with an Arkansas wildlife agency that would have enabled him to learn of Scott's previous report?

The important thing is not who found the IBWO but that it was found. But I hope that the right person will eventually get the credit.
It has to be more than coincidence that Scott reported her sighting in 2003 in the same general area of Arkansas prior to Sparling's 2004 dicovery. CLO may have some egg on its face for not heeding her 2003 report and perhaps that is why they don't acknowledge her. Hopefully we will soon learn exactly where and when Scott's alleged sighting was made.

In the meantime, wouldn't it be nice if someone spotted an IBWO on ANWR?

Jim