a little help

Sorry to impose when it comes to something that should be quite obvious.  I am trying to attract a few more birds in my backyard, and I caught a few this afternoon.  The only problem is...I cannot decide between the house finch and purple finch.  I'm sure this is something I should be able to figure out....I've looked at the book, read, pondered, stared, listened, napped, and now I'm asking for a little help...

The birds are at:

http://www.pbase.com/mickelson/image/42259395
http://www.pbase.com/mickelson/image/42259397
http://www.pbase.com/mickelson/image/42259392

If you can idenify them, and also give me a short explanation as to what is marks are giving the hints I'd be quite thankful!

Brian M.