Re: First Hummingbird

I'd like to comment on Eric's attempt to attract an Anna's Hummingbird this
past winter.  I did the same thing and regrettably, had the same results--no
hummer.  But I was still encouraged by a report of a hummingbird at a feeder
about four blocks from my house in December and January.  I visited the host
and viewed the video he took of the winter hummer.  The clip was only good
enough to tell that a hummingbird was hovering at the feeder, and nothing
more.

After Jack Binch's and Ed Leite's discovery of an Anna's Hummingbird in
North Ogden two winters ago, I hatched a theory that winter hummingbird
visits are a lot more common than we know.  I believe that most Anna's that
disperse or pass by the Wasatch Front don't stay because they don't find
anything to eat.  Those hummingbirds that are detected and recognized for
what they are, find feeders that hosts forget to take in after the last
regular migrants pass through in October.

The Grand Junction, Colorado area hosted both a Costa's Hummingbird and an
Anna's Hummingbird this past December when the temperature was well below
freezing.  The hosts either put their feeders outside every morning by 5:30
a.m., or maintained a heat lamp and snow shield on the feeders.  Southwest
Idaho recorded five Anna's Hummingbirds this winter. Salt Lake City hosted a
male Anna's in late October.  The sighting was well-documented with photos
you can find at:  http://www.utahbirds.org/RecCom/2004/2004_36Summary.htm

I wonder how many rare winter hummingbirds the Wasatch Front would see if
many hummingbird enthusiasts maintained their feeders throughout the winter?

For more information on winter hummingbird sightings, launch the link below.

Kris

http://www.trochilids.com/