Fw: [IBLE] An April 1 Comparison and a "Challenge" to Montana

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, April 01, 2005 5:46 PM
Subject: [IBLE] An April 1 Comparison and a "Challenge" to Montana

One-fourth of 2005 is behind us...and I thought it would be interesting to compare the cumulative total number of species seen in Idaho thus far through 3/31 with my Big Year pace in 2004 through the same date.  The list for the state as of yesterday (3/31) stood at 184 whereas at the same juncture last year my list stood at 173.  There have not been any birds sighted yet that I did not see during my Big Year, but Spring is always a good time for that kind of thing to happen.

Montana did a cumulative Big Year in 2004 and to my understand is doing one again this year.  It would be fun to see which of our two states ends 2005 with a larger total (a suggestion first put forward by Lisa Hardy).  Maybe we could even have prizes...For instance, if they "win" we could send their Bird Records Committee an "official Idaho spud," or they could just send us a deed for a portion of the "Big Sky" if we end with the larger total. How about it Montana?  You're the bigger state, with the bigger list, with more chances at "normally occurring" eastern species. (Hey, Utah or NV are you out there too?  Oregon and Washington are automatic "no-wins" for ID, but what the heck, we'll give it our best for anyone!)

Harry Krueger
Boise

To view archived messages go to:

http://www.yahoogroups.com/group/ible