Re: Bewick's Swan photos

Phil Douglas sent me his photos about a week ago and I had much the same reaction as Matt - I wasn't sure that this bird was outside the range of yellow for an extreme "Whistling," especially because the yellow didn't appear to extend across the top of the bill. I sent the link off to the "Frontiers of Identification" group, that includes many of the top birders on both sides of the Atlantic for comment on this bird. Since then Ted Steinke's excellent photos of what appears to me to be a different bird were posted, and some people commented on both. The Salt Creek bird looks like a much better candidate for Bewick's than the Harold Crane bird, with much more extensive yellow that passes across the top of the bill.

The consensus opinion I received from those who replied was exactly upon these lines - that the Harold Crane bird is a "Whistling" with an extreme amount of yellow, and that the Salt Creek bird is indeed a Bewick's. In addition to the amount and placement of the yellow on the bill, one respondent stated that Bewick's has a shorter neck than Whistling, which can be seen, especially in the last photo, on the Salt Creek bird. The birds at Harold Crane all seem to have the same length neck.

As with many bird identification problems, focus upon a single field mark, while seeming to simplify the situation, can, and often does, lead the birder astray.

Good birding!

Mark

Mark Stackhouse
Westwings, Inc.
westwings@sisna.com
801-487-9453 (Salt Lake City, Utah, USA)
011-52-323-285-1243 (San Blas, Nayarit, Mexico)