Re: Need help with a shorebird ID

To me, they look more like Short-billed than Long-billed, but I'm not an
expert in shorebird ID either.  One also needs to consider the type of water
they were found in; to me, this is something that always seems to be
neglected.  Long-billeds favor fresh water, whereas Short-billed prefer salt
water.  That being said, even though I think they look more like
Short-billeds to me, they are probably Long-billeds.  But who am I to say, I
still have trouble with the Yellowlegs.

Good birding,
Richard

----- Original Message ----- From: "Matthew J. Williams" <mjw22@comcast.net> To: <birdtalk@utahbirds.org> Sent: Friday, March 04, 2005 11:26 PM Subject: Re: Need help with a shorebird ID

Milt & others,

Thanks for these photos. I'm not a super-shorebirder either (challenges
like these help) but I did notice a few things that were pretty
interesting.  Cliff already caught the one about the bird with the dark
tail resting in the back being a Yellowlegs (I'd lean toward greater with
size as my only clue).  That almost made me think Long-tailed, however
there were a few more interesting things in these photos.

Photo 4 shows 3 birds.  The two on the left are almost directly in-line
with the camera.  The one in the front seems like it has a shorter bill.
This almost made me think that both species are present.  However, this is
likely an optical illusion since I noticed that the seemingly
shorter-billed bird's head was turned more towards the camera.

As for the tail pattern on the dowitchers standing in the water (check out
the reflection as well), I would say that it looks more like Short-billed
(in referencing p.70) in Ken Kauffman's "Advanced Birding".  Kauffman also
suggests that the dark breast is more restricted and slightly lighter gray
on Short-billeds.  On the first photo there appears to be some variation
in this feature among individuals, however, despite how hard I try, I can
only get so far as to second Milt in saying that these are "Possible"
Short-billed dowitchers but I don't think there is enough evidence to
refute the more likely Long-billed.  My reluctance to take a stand on this
is completely in-line with Kauffman's advice on winter dowitchers on p 71.
"If you cannot judge the tail pattern or hear the call, however, it is
almost always dangerous to label a dowitcher in nonbreeding plumage".

I'm OK with using rules of thumb on which is the early migrant and which
comes later, however I certainly don't think that should prevent anyone
from looking and reporting (and photographing...or sound recording)
anything that seems suspicious.  There's a reason why Western Meadowlark
is Sturnella neglecta....it took a while for someone to take the time to
stop and take notice.

I'd love to hear more comments, particularly about the tail pattern and
other field marks. It seems as though the birds were shuffling around a
bit too (were they Milt?) so that the bird in front seems to have
different plumages in different pictures.  Light?  I don't know.  I'm
going to bring a microphone with me when I go scoping shorebirds this
spring!

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT