Re: Need help with a shorebird ID

Milt & others,

Thanks for these photos. I'm not a super-shorebirder either (challenges like these help) but I did notice a few things that were pretty interesting. Cliff already caught the one about the bird with the dark tail resting in the back being a Yellowlegs (I'd lean toward greater with size as my only clue). That almost made me think Long-tailed, however there were a few more interesting things in these photos.

Photo 4 shows 3 birds. The two on the left are almost directly in-line with the camera. The one in the front seems like it has a shorter bill. This almost made me think that both species are present. However, this is likely an optical illusion since I noticed that the seemingly shorter-billed bird's head was turned more towards the camera.

As for the tail pattern on the dowitchers standing in the water (check out the reflection as well), I would say that it looks more like Short-billed (in referencing p.70) in Ken Kauffman's "Advanced Birding". Kauffman also suggests that the dark breast is more restricted and slightly lighter gray on Short-billeds. On the first photo there appears to be some variation in this feature among individuals, however, despite how hard I try, I can only get so far as to second Milt in saying that these are "Possible" Short-billed dowitchers but I don't think there is enough evidence to refute the more likely Long-billed. My reluctance to take a stand on this is completely in-line with Kauffman's advice on winter dowitchers on p 71. "If you cannot judge the tail pattern or hear the call, however, it is almost always dangerous to label a dowitcher in nonbreeding plumage".

I'm OK with using rules of thumb on which is the early migrant and which comes later, however I certainly don't think that should prevent anyone from looking and reporting (and photographing...or sound recording) anything that seems suspicious. There's a reason why Western Meadowlark is Sturnella neglecta....it took a while for someone to take the time to stop and take notice.

I'd love to hear more comments, particularly about the tail pattern and other field marks. It seems as though the birds were shuffling around a bit too (were they Milt?) so that the bird in front seems to have different plumages in different pictures. Light? I don't know. I'm going to bring a microphone with me when I go scoping shorebirds this spring!

Good Birding,
Matt Williams
Provo, UT